Easy Candied Ginger Recipe
Learn how to make homemade candied ginger. This easy candied ginger recipe requires 3 ingredients and about 1 hour of time.
It’s super simple to make candied ginger at home and it tastes far better than the packed stuff.. In addition, your house will be filled with the aroma of fresh ginger!
The recipe covers important tips you need to know and details the steps required to make delicious candied ginger. Use the candied ginger as a garnish on ice cream, baked goods and also in your favorite oatmeal recipes.
- 1 pound fresh ginger root
- 5 cups water
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- Prepare a cooling rack set over a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to peel the ginger root. Then, slice it into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline.
- In a small saucepan, add the sliced ginger and the water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes so the ginger becomes softened and tender.
- Drain ginger and reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. You may also want to make ginger syrup using the drained liquid. Mix with sugar to make a quick ginger syrup!
- In a small saucepan, add the ginger, 1/4 cup cooking liquid and the sugar. Set the pan on medium-high heat and bring to a boil while constantly stirring. Reduce the heat slightly and cook until the sugar syrup looks dry and has almost evaporated. The sugar will begin to recrystallize after about 20 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the ginger to the cooling rack and individually spread the pieces apart. Once the candied ginger has completely cool, store it in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Keep the ginger syrup to use for extra flavor when cooking, baking or even as a mixer at the bar. The ginger syrup will last for up to a month when stored in the fridge.
Keepthe crystalized ginger sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack. Use it to top oatmeal ginger cookies, in a gluten free oatmeal crumble topping or even to sweeten your morning coffee.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.