This savory oatmeal is warm, cozy, hearty, and flavorful! This fun and unique idea is great for a filling breakfast, snack, or dinner. It takes only 5 minutes of cooking time. Feel free to add in your favorite protein and veggies. This easy, healthy, and delicious meal will become your new favorite!
What You Will Love About this Recipe
- This savory oatmeal is quick and easy to make.
- Less than 10 minutes in total.
- This fun twist on oatmeal is delicious any time of day!
- With so many delicious choices of savory toppings, you can customize this dish to suit your tastes.
- The oats come out creamy and soft.
- Great way to eat more veggies.
- Make this as part of your weekly meal prep. It reheats and stores well.
- This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and can be easily made vegan.
- If you prefer, you can add in some leftover chicken, beef, or other meat.
- This is simply delicious plant-based food for everyone.
- Even picky young eaters go wild for this fun flavor and soft texture!
- Serve it with some toasted Oat Bread!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full savory oatmeal recipe.
Rolled oats are a common form of oats. They are the star of this dish. These oats are made from dehusked and steamed groats that are rolled into yummy flat flakes of oats. They have the right texture and flavor for this savory take on classic oatmeal.
Vegetable broth is a great choice for this savory style of porridge. It adds rich veggie flavor and a touch of salt that cannot be beaten! If you watch your sodium intake, trade this ingredient for a low-sodium variety or use water instead.
Diced vegetables add earthiness, leafiness, and tasty umami flavor! Use your favorite blend of bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever fresh veggies you like.
Delicious fresh cloves of garlic add sweet and savory flavor to any recipe they are added to. Choose fresh whenever possible, but jarred is a great substitute when needed.
Olive oil is the ideal cooking fat for this oatmeal recipe. Replace with avocado oil if needed.
Add in sea salt and black pepper to taste.
A few delicious topping ideas include fresh avocado, herbs, nutritional yeast, and hot sauce.
Taste & Texture
This savory oatmeal is unlike anything you have tried before! It is so rich in oat and vegetable flavors. Top it with your favorite tasty toppings to build an even more irresistible flavor!
The oats are creamy and soft. The veggies add a slight crunch. Overall, this savory oatmeal is satisfying!
How To Make
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the diced vegetables and minced garlic. Sauté until the veggies are tender.
Add the rolled oats to the saucepan. Next, stir for a minute to lightly toast them.
Pour in the vegetable broth or water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats have absorbed most of the liquid.
Then, season the savory oatmeal with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust as needed.
Remove the saucepan from the heat. Let the oatmeal sit for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken.
Transfer the savory oatmeal to a bowl and top it with your preferred toppings.
Finally, stir and enjoy!
Chop the veggies finely.
Watch the oatmeal closely to prevent burning.
Taste as you go and add salt and pepper as desired.
If you are making this dish for the whole family, set up bowls with various toppings. Then let everyone go down the line building their own perfect savory oatmeal!
Tasty Topping Ideas
- Southwest-Inspired: Try topping it with freshly sliced avocado and pico de gallo. It is a fun and fresh flavor you will want over and over!
- Seeds and Nuts: If you love crunch, try using pepitas, chia seeds, and chopped nuts to make a delicious medley of crunch and flavor.
- Mushroom and Herb: Nothing beats the umami flavor of buttery mushrooms! Sauté freshly sliced mushrooms with garlic and a little cooking fat. Top the oatmeal with the cooked mushrooms and some fresh thyme or rosemary.
- Sweet Heat: Make a delicious blend of hot and sweet flavors by combining roasted sweet potatoes and sriracha hot sauce on top of the oats. It is a tasty combination of heat and sweetness that will leave you wanting more!
- Eggs and Oats: Add a soft-boiled egg or hard-boiled egg on top. Great with freshly chopped chives or cilantro. Add some crispy bacon on top!
How to Serve & Store
Serve this savory oatmeal with your favorite topping combination while it is warm. Enjoy it any time of the day because it makes a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I love eating this oatmeal at night.
Storing this delicious oatmeal is easy. First, allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat the oatmeal quickly, put the desired amount of leftovers in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for up to 2 minutes.
Alternatively, reheat it in a medium pan over low heat. Add the oatmeal to the pan. Stir it for a few minutes until it is warm throughout. Feel free to splash in a little extra broth to add richness and moisture to the leftover oats.
If you are using fresh toppings like avocado or tomato, add them after reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Oatmeal can be sweet or savory!
Savory oats are a blank canvas for toppings.
Feel free to add veggies, sauces, condiments, and protein.
Unfortunately, no. Instead, try this Keto Oatmeal!
Saucepan: This simple recipe hardly makes any dishes at all! All you will need to cook this rich oatmeal is a saucepan and something to stir with.
Serving Bowl or Plate: Presentation is everything so choose a nice big bowl for this savory oatmeal.
You May Also Like
- Oat Flour Waffles
- Oat Flour Pancakes
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
This savory oatmeal is warm, hearty, savory, and incredibly flavorful! This quick and easy recipe is great for a savory breakfast, a filling snack, or a healthy dinner. It is totally customizable!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup diced vegetables (such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or cilantro), nutritional yeast, hot sauce
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced vegetables and minced garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the rolled oats to the saucepan and stir for a minute to lightly toast them.
- Pour in the vegetable broth or water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats have absorbed most of the liquid and reached your desired consistency.
- Season the savory oatmeal with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let the oatmeal sit for a minute or two to thicken.
- Transfer the savory oatmeal to a bowl and top it with your preferred toppings, such as sliced avocado, chopped fresh herbs, nutritional yeast, or hot sauce.
- Lastly, stir and enjoy your comforting savory oatmeal!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 28.4ggSaturated Fat: 3.9ggCholesterol: 0mgmgSodium: 225.1gmgCarbohydrates: 17.6ggFiber: 2.4ggSugar: 1ggProtein: 3gg