This easy applesauce recipe takes about 15 minutes to make and only requires 5 ingredients. You won’t believe how delicious homemade applesauce really tastes.
Make a large batch and store it in the fridge, freezer or even follow the proper canning procedures. We also cover the tips that you need to be aware of when making applesauce from
Once you make your own applesauce, you won’t want to buy the commercial brands anymore. This recipe tastes fresh, delicious and easy to make!
- 4 pounds mixed apples (Gala, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious or Red Delicious)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Peel, core and chop the apples into large chunks (about 2”).
- In a medium sized Dutch oven or saucepan, combine the apple chunks, water, maple syrup and cinnamon. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Cook until the apples are tender and completely fall apart, and then remove the pot from the heat.
- For chunky applesauce, use a potato masher, the back of a spatula or a wooden spoon to break it up the applesauce into the consistency you’re looking for.
- For smooth applesauce, puree the applesauce with an immersion blender, liquid blender, food mill or a food processor.
- Stir in the vinegar as the applesauce is cooling and then adjust the taste as necessary.
- Follow the proper canning method and jar the applesauce while it is still hot. Otherwise, cool to room temperature and store in the fridge or freezer.
Why make it organic? Apples are #4 on the Dirty Dozen listt. Conventionally grown apples are considered to be very high in pesticide residue and also food-wax that is used to cover apples for safe transportation.
Make it vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey.
Make it unsweetened by skipping the maple syrup for sugar-free applesauce.
For more sweetness, stir in more maple syrup or honey.
For more spice, add more cinnamon or apple pie spice.
Serve warm or chilled, either way it’ll be the best applesauce you ever had!
Leftover applesauce will keep well in the refrigerator for about 1 week, or in the freezer for months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.