*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure to learn more.
Yield: 2 cups
How To Oven Dry Apples
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Here are step-by-step instructions for how to oven dry apples. Make ahead and store in advance if you need oven dried apples for your next meal!
The recipe is simple and only requires 3 ingredients. Bake low and slow to get the apple chip taste and texture you're looking for.
- 4 apples (Gala, Granny Smith, Fuji)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Mix lemon juice and water in a small bowl.
- Slice the apple with even ⅛” thickness using a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Soak the apple slices in lemon juice. Do not soak for more than 10 minutes because the apples will become soggy. Drain the liquid from the apple slices and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place apple slices onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Space the slice apart so that they do not touch or layer on top of one another.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- For soft apple chips, then bake the apple slices for 1 hour and they should be done.
- For crispy apple chips, rotate the pan and bake for another hour or 2. Don’t be afraid to use a spatula and flip the chips over in the middle of baking in order to fully dry the apple slices.
- Let the apple chips completely cool down before storing.
- Make ahead tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or refrigerate the soft chips for up to 1 month.
- Keep the peel and core if you like the look of the dried skins and core pattern.
- The total cooking time really depends on the calibration of the oven, elevation from sea level and also the thickness of the apple slices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.