Strawberry and rhubarb compliment each others taste with a balance of sweetness and sourness. The creamy and hearty addition of whole grain oats makes this spring time recipe a healthy breakfast or midday snack that will completely satisfy your hunger pains.
Whether you have fresh or frozen strawberries in the fridge, if you’re simply looking for a healthy meal prep idea then try making strawberry overnight oats. A large batch can easily be stored so that you have satisfying meals prepared ahead of time for the entire week!
Not only are overnight oatmeal the perfect grab and go breakfast in the morning, but assembling a few portions in advance is actually super easy. From lemon strawberry overnight oats to strawberry and cream overnight oats, you will be tempted to eat every last drop.
You will love this strawberry rhubarb overnight oats because…
- The no cook recipe can be prepared in just 5 minutes.
- Healthy meal prep packed with wholesome nutrition.
- Balanced meal containing plant based protein, dietary fiber and healthy fats.
- Equal amounts of sweetness, tartness and creamy flavors.
- Strawberry and rhubarb taste just like the classic pie with a hearty oatmeal base. Its delicious and nutritious!
Whether you’re looking for a flavorful breakfast idea or a healthy meal prep to eat as a mid afternoon snack, the combination of strawberry rhubarb overnight oats brings a flavorful experience to your tastebuds. In addition, oats are a nutritious whole grain packed with plant based protein, dietary fiber, and beneficial antioxidants.
How to make strawberry rhubarb overnight oats?
Satisfy your belly and tastebuds with a batch of strawberry rhubarb flavored overnight oats. Include this recipe in your meal prep plan for the week for a fun new recipe that can be prepared in just a few minutes.
You may also enjoy this 5-minute almond milk recipe. It’s surprisingly simple to prepare and tastes so fresh compared to the commercially available products. Not only is the dairy free beverage refreshing and delicious, but there are some many fun flavoring combinations that you can mix in.
Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oats Ingredients:
- Regular rolled oats
- Almond milk
- Greek yogurt
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
Add the oats, almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and vanilla extract to a mason jar. Mix well so that the chia seeds don’t clump together and the oats are coated with flavorful liquid. Cover with a lid and place in the fridge overnight.
The next day, simmer the strawberries, rhubarb, water and brown sugar in a small saucepan for about 3-5 minutes until softened and jam-like.
Give the no cook oats a quick stir. Garnish with the quick strawberry rhubarb jam and your favorite add-ins.
When it comes to oatmeal toppings that pair well with strawberry and rhubarb, try adding a spoonful of caramel sauce, candied ginger, diced oranges or even a sprinkle of cinnamon to customize your overnight oats.
Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oats Tips:
Strawberry rhubarb overnight oats has a balanced flavor profile that is sweet, tangy and creamy. Here are tips to keep your soaked oats extra fresh and delicious every spoonful you take.
- Strawberry: Strawberries are packed with a desirable sweet tastes that provides a beneficial compliment to soaked oats. They are a source of wholesome nutrition that is packed with antioxidants along with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Rhubarb: Rhubarb adds a hint of tartness that combines well with strawberries. Rhubarb needs to be cooked to transform into a sweet and tart topping to mix into the soaked oats.
- Oats: Quick oats get really soggy and turn to mush when soaked. Steel cut oats don’t soften enough unless they are fully cooked. As a result, rolled oats are the preferred type of oats when preparing this no cook recipe.
- Liquid ratio: 2:1 liquid to oats overnight oatmeal water ratio is a good guideline to follow, there are a few variables that can affect the outcome. If the oatmeal is too thick when serving, then add a splash of liquid too thin the mixture.
- Yogurt: Yogurt adds extra creaminess in addition to increasing the fat and protein content. Use a dairy free yogurt if you are looking to make a vegan recipe.
- Seeds: Hemp seeds, chia seeds and flaxseeds are superfood seeds that can easily added to this healthy recipe.
- Vegan: Dairy free milk and yogurt will make this a vegan recipe.
- Gluten free: Although oats are naturally gluten free, certified rolled oats are recommended to make it celiac friendly.
- Protein powder: Protein powder is a great way to increase the muscle building nutritional value for a post workout energy boost. Use your any brand of unflavored or vanilla powder that you prefer for a complimentary taste.
- Sweetener: Sweeten the soaked oats as needed to meet your personal taste preference. Avoid honey if you want a vegan recipes. Substitute with any sweetener like stevia, agave or coconut sugar.
- Give it a stir: Before serving, stir the soaked oats and the add any toppings. If the oats are too thick, a splash of liquid will thin out the mixture.
- Add-ins: Complement the soft texture of the soaked oats with crunchy ingredients. Garnish with dehydrated or fresh fruit and chopped nuts, also check out this list of 75+ oatmeal toppings for more delicious inspirations.
- Storage: Make ahead and store in the best overnight oats jars. The meal prep stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days when stored in an airtight container.
Combine the sweetness of strawberries and the tartness of rhubarb with the delicate creaminess of overnight oats. This healthy meal is packed with the health benefits of oats and the natural antioxidants of strawberries.
This tasty recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare. Assemble in a meal prep container for a surprisingly delicious grab and go that can be eaten at any time of day.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- ¼ strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a medium sized bowl or overnight oats container, Combine the rolled oats, almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight for a minimum of 12 hours.
- The next morning, heat a small sauce pan over medium heat.Simmer the chopped rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar and water.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, or until fruit has softened into a jammy consistency.
- Give the oatmeal a good stir, and then add the strawberry rhubarb jam on top.
- Garnish with your favorite oatmeal toppings like crunchy granola, sliced almonds or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Make it vegan and gluten free!
- Adjust the consistency and sweetness if necessary.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 9gSugar: 14gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.