Looking for a satisfyingly fulfilling way to enjoy the citrusy and zesty taste of lemon? Try these healthy lemon overnight oats that you can eat hot or cold at anytime throughout the year.
If you’re only familiar with cooked oatmeal, then it’s time to venture into the realm of overnight oats. From blueberry lemon overnight oats to lavender lemonade overnight oats, we’ve rounded up the best lemon flavored overnight oats with berries, spices and more.
Get a refreshing boost from the tartness that’ll give you the nutritional energy to survive the busy workweek. These brand new recipes combine the health benefits of oats with the delightful taste and rejuvenating effects of lemon.
Lemons are staple superfood that are found in a majority of household kitchens. From dairy free milk alternatives to oven baked granola, it’s time for you to explore a wide variety of oatmeal toppings that blend with the whole grain base.
Lemon overnight oats are made with ingredients that are available year round in the local marketplace. If you enjoy drinking lemonade or consume lemon water everyday, then upgrade your routine with a new batch of tasty oatmeal recipes.
Overnight oats serve as a healthy breakfast idea or fantastic midday snack. Steer clear of junk food cravings and sugar-filled treats. Maintain a healthy and stress-free morning with these delicious make-ahead meals that will save you time, energize your body and keep you feeling full all day long.
Is Oatmeal And Lemon A Good Breakfast?
Lemons are a healthy superfood that enhance your bowl of soaked oatmeal with a touch of citrusy, zesty and tart flavors. Lemons provide several nutrients that boost your immune system and improve your overall wellbeing.
Here are some benefits of adding lemon to oatmeal every morning:
- Support heart health.
- Help control weight.
- Prevent kidney stones.
- Protect against anemia.
- Reduce cancer risk.
- Improve digestive health
Both oatmeal and lemons have vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Consuming whole grain oats helps you feel fuller for longer periods of time, which averts the distractions of cravings experienced throughout each day. Soak your overnight oats with the wholesome goodness and benefits of lemon.
Basic Ingredients For Lemon Overnight Oats:
Having lemon with breakfast is a new routine to start cultivating that may improve overall health. What if you could combine the zesty taste of lemons with your nutritious and wholesome meal prep.
When it comes to layering flavors with lemon overnight oats, there are many exciting ingredients that will add to the experience. Here are individual ingredients that compliment the combination of lemon and oats when assembling this healthy meal prep.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon has a strong taste that will be diluted by the neutral oats flavor. Although lemon juice is available in the juice aisle at the market, it’s recommended to use whole lemon for making the lemon overnight oats recipes. In addition to the lemon juice being fresher, you also have the opportunity to zest the lemon and add the aromatic lemon peel to the batch of soaked oats.
- Oats: Use regular rolled oats instead of quick oats or steel-cut oats for preparing each of the overnight oats recipes. Quick oats get mushy and soggy when soaked overnight night, and steel cut oats are extremely tough and chewy when not fully cooked. Oats are naturally gluten-free, however if you follow a strict wheat-free diet then it’s recommended to use certified gluten-free oats.
- Liquid: Although lemon juice is one of the base ingredients, it’s not nearly enough liquid compared to the amount required to fully hydrate the oats. 2:1 liquid to overnight oats water ratio is the general guideline for soaking. The tart flavors of the lemon are balanced with other liquids like milk or dairy free alternatives. Try making overnight oats with 5-minute almond milk, homemade soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk, flaxseed milk, or coconut milk.
- Yogurt: Milk based or non dairy vegan substitutes are available based on your dietary preference. A scoop of yogurt makes the soaked cook oats extra creamy while also increasing the fat and protein content.
- Protein powder: Oats are a natural source for plant-based protein, however adding a scoop of protein powder can significantly increase the amount of available nutrition. Build a protein rich meal for a post-workout muscle building energy boost.
- Seeds: Chia seeds, hemp seeds and flaxseeds are some of the superfood options that pair well with lemon overnight oats. Add a tablespoon or two to eat servings for a sustainable energy boost.
- Nuts: Increase the nutritional value by adding nuts to your no cook lemon oats. Crushed or sliced and raw or roasted are only some of the options to consider. From candied nuts to nut butters, this is an easy way to add fat, flavor and protein to your vegan recipes.
- Natural sweetness: Lemon needs a touch of sweetness to balance out the natural sourness and tartness. In that case, a drizzle of maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, chopped dates, agave nectar, date syrup, coconut nectar or brown rice syrup are all options that will do. If you are vegan, substitute the honey in any recipe with the sweetener you prefer most.
- Spices: Not all spices pair well with lemon. The top six spices that naturally blend with lemon flavored overnight oatmeal are anise, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla.
Best Toppings for Lemon Overnight Oats:
The subtle sweetness and citrusy taste of lemon make it easy to pair with many sweet berries, roasted nuts, and creamy sauces to level up your overnight oats experience. Here are the best toppings and combinations to make your lemon based overnight oats taste delicious so that you don’t get bored with the same flavors every time:
- Lemon + Banana + Coconut + Cream
- Lemon + Blueberries + Cream + Maple Syrup
- Lemon + Orange + Cream + Brown Sugar
- Lemon + Raspberries + Cream + Caramel
- Lemon + Strawberries + Cream + Cinnamon
- Lemon + Berries + Honey + Mint
- Lemon + Green Tea + Honey + Almonds
- Lemon + Lavender + Honey + Pistachio
Fresh lemon juice mixed into creamy yogurt or milk will make zesty lemon-flavored yogurt or a citrusy lemon milk. The easy trick makes the oats base much more flavorful and significantly impacts the end result.
Lemon Overnight Oats
Lemon overnight oats are easy to make, healthy and a fulfilling meal that can be eaten at any time of day. Explore the classic beverage flavor combinations that are easily customizable to resemble your personal favorites.
The vegan and gluten free recipes are perfect meal prep ideas. Assemble the make ahead meal prep in a mason jar for an easy grab and go breakfast or afternoon snacks. Prepare in advance so that the quick bit to eat is ready when you need it most.
Each serving is packed with plant based protein, high fiber and essential vitamins and minerals. Enjoy overnight oats with lemon while getting a heart-healthy meal that benefits your overall balanced diet.
Lemon raspberry overnight oats has a subtle citrus flavor that blends with the sweetness of raspberries. If you like a bit more tartness, then lemon and raspberries is the perfect combination for you.
Lemon apple overnight oats is a delicious combination of lemon, applesauce and fresh diced apple. Lighten up your tastebuds with this hearty blend of wholesome ingredients.
Lemonade adds a magical blend of citrusy sweet and tart flavoring. Grab you meal prep container to prepare this grab and go breakfast or afternoon snack for the next day.
Mashed banana blends very well with fresh lemon. This lemon banana overnight oats combines these citrusy and creamy flavors into one hearty meal prep that is delicious to eat at any time of day.
Nothing scream spring like lemon strawberry overnight oats. This seasonal specialty blends the taste of zesty lemon and sweet strawberries with the heartiness of whole grain oats.
Pink lemonade overnight oats is a blend of raspberries, strawberries and fresh lemon. The sweet taste of berries and lemonade pair really well together.
Lavender lemonade overnight oats tastes just like the specialty beverage blended into a fulling base of hearty oats. Enjoy the perfect balance of sweet and spice in this aromatic recipe.
Blueberry and lemon are a delicious core to blend with overnight oats. This no cook recipe is another sweet and sour specialty.
Raspberry lemonade overnight oats is magical combination of zesty and tangy flavors. Grab your meal prep container because this no cook recipe can be eaten whenever your in the mood.
Green tea lemonade combines the health benefits of oats with green tea and lemon. A touch of citrusy tartness gives the lemonade twist to the oatmeal blend.
Gingerade lemonade overnight oats is a blend of fresh ginger and lemon. If you are looking for a powerful immunity booster, then this no cook recipe is perfect for you.
Blueberry lemonade overnight oats is inspired by the specialty beverage blend. The lemonade based oats are blended with blueberries to create a tart and delicious flavor combination.
Love the sweetness of strawberries and the tartness of lemonade? Then this strawberry lemonade overnight oats is the perfect recipe for you to try!
Blood orange lemonade overnight oats combines the taste of tangy oranges with rich creaminess, sour lemon and also the heartiness of whole grain oats. Enjoy the balance of semi sweet flavors combined in this fulfilling meal prep.