Have you tried no cook blueberry overnight oats with plant based protein and gluten free ingredients? It takes less than 5 minutes to assemble a batch that lasts for the entire week in the fridge!
From blueberry pie to blueberry chia seed, you will taste creamy, tart and fruity flavors in every bite. Let’s put together delicious recipes the night before and take that same old overnight oatmeal to the next level.
Whether you use fresh or frozen blueberries, each blueberry overnight oatmeal tastes delicious at any time of day. Grab and go meal prep has never been this easy!
Are blueberries and oatmeal good for you?
Blueberries and oatmeal are the perfect combination to start the day with! Oatmeal is a great source of essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, soluble and insoluble fiber, and also plant based protein.
On top of that, blueberries also contain vitamins, antioxidant and fiber that actually give you double the nutrition in each spoonful. So, don’t be afraid to mix these two superfood ingredients together and enjoy your meal everyday.
Oatmeal and blueberries is a good breakfast idea. No cook overnight oats topped with blueberries are perfect breakfast meal to try! Packed with wholesome nutrition, they both are great ingredients to start the day with!
Whether you have been eating yogurt with blueberries, its time to switch it up and enjoy these various blueberry overnight oats.
Can you add frozen blueberries to overnight oats?
Frozen fruit is surprisingly delicious and also easily purchased in the local supermarket even when it’s not the right season. Furthermore, frozen fruit has a long shelf life compared to fresh.
You don’t need to worry about mold growing on a box of frozen blueberries. As long as the berries stay frozen, they are ready to use at any time.
If you are adding frozen blueberries into a no cook oatmeal, there is no need to defrost them beforehand. The berries will naturally soften and melt into the oats overnight.
However if you are looking to use as a topping, then slightly thaw the frozen berries before serving. Here are the best ways to thaw blueberries quickly.
- Microwave for 1 minute at 40% power.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
Basic Ingredients for Blueberry Overnight Oats:
Blueberry is a great base ingredient to add inside overnight oats. Prepare your meal with these basic ingredients that actually taste fantastic and make it easy to create a variety of flavors.
- Blueberry: Either fresh or frozen blueberries work well in each of the overnight oats recipes. When you store no cook oatmeal in fridge for couple of days, the frozen berries naturally defrost in the oat mixture. Make a quick blueberry chia jam for an additional option.
- Oats: Always choose rolled oats for the blueberry overnight oats. Steel-cut oats also work all right, however the end result is a much chewier texture. If you are in gluten-free diet, make sure to use gluten-free certified oats.
- Liquid: Each blueberry overnight oatmeal tastes slightly different according to the liquid base. You have an option to stick with cow milk, milk alternatives including almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk, flax milk or cashew milk.
- Yogurt: Adding a scoop of Greek yogurt makes the overnight oats taste richer and creamier. To make it more flavorful, add a spoonful of blueberry flavored yogurt to give a kick. Vegan alternatives can be substituted to avoid the use of a dairy product.
- Chia Seeds: One tablespoon of chia seeds is a great protein source to supplement to no cook oats. However, it will create a slimy and jelly like consistency. In addition, chia seeds soak up some liquid so make sure to add little bit extra liquid to make the texture less pasty.
- Natural sweetness: Blueberries might not always be super sweet. The best way to balance the tartness is by adding natural sweetness such as maple syrup, stevia or honey.
- Spices: Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, mint, and basil all go well with blueberries. Lemon zest is one of my favorite flavors to combine with blueberries
Best Toppings for Blueberry Overnight Oats:
The sour and tart flavor of blueberries takes the overnight oatmeal to the next level. Try the different topping combination ideas to make your blueberry overnight oats recipes unique and enjoyable all week long.
Incorporating oatmeal toppings is a great way to enhance the flavor and build on the texture. Here is a list of flavor combinations to try with you blueberry overnight oats.
- Blueberries + Cinnamon + Cream + Brown Sugar
- Blueberries + Lemon Zest + Yogurt + Maple Syrup
- Blueberries + Honey + Vanilla + Allspice
- Blueberries + White Chocolate + Cream Cheese + Sugar
- Blueberries + Apple + Almond + Nutmeg
- Blueberries + Pears + Pecans + Cinnamon
- Blueberries + Apricots + Ginger + Jams
- Blueberries + Lime + Orange + Walnuts
- Blueberries + Pine Nuts + Raspberries + White Sugar
Add a scoop of blueberry chia jam as topping or fresh or frozen blueberries to these combos. I also advocate trying toppings like almond butter, gluten free oatmeal crumble, and apple butter.
Discover the four basic tastes from tart, sweet, bitter, and nutty in every bite. Furthermore, build on the palette experience by blend hot and cold with smooth and crunchy.