Spend less than 5 minutes on a Sunday evening to meal prep these 14 vegan friendly and gluten-free apple overnight oats recipes. Each no cook oatmeal recipe is easy to make and healthy ideas that lasts all week to make each busy morning stress-free.
Enjoy this year-round fruit as main ingredient in your easy overnight oatmeal. It has never been easier to eat an apple a day to keep doctor away!
From apple pie overnight oats to ginger apple overnight oats with homemade candied ginger, every corner is filled with autumn flavor here at Simply Oatmeal. Let us help you to take your plain oatmeal to the next level.
Is Oatmeal And An Apple A Good Breakfast?
Keeps that doctor away and bask in the natural goodness that these apple overnight oats recipes have to offer! Incorporating an apple with your oatmeal definitely increases the nutritional value of the meal.
Your body can quickly use the natural fruit sugars in the apples. In addition, both apples and oats are also full of vitamins and minerals.
Oatmeal and apple give a boost of energy that contributes to daily needs. Oats have a number of health benefits including being high in fiber, and also a valuable source of plant-based protein.
When it comes to health, apples hold their weight as well. Here are some of the nutritional benefits that apples have to offer:
- Good for weight loss
- Prebiotic effects that promote good gut health
- Lower the risk of diabetes
- Good for your heart
- Protect your brain
- Good for bone health
What’s the best apple for overnight oatmeal?
From sweet to tart, there are thousands of types of apple in the world that each have a different flavor and texture. In general, there are only a handful of apples in the market for us to choose from.
Not every apple tastes the same or pairs well with other foods. When it comes to these apple overnight oats, we have a few recommendations for you.
Whether you use the apple as an oatmeal topping or soak it in overnight in the oat mixture, the best apple to use for overnight oats is Honeycrisp. They are sweet, crunchy and definitely make smile during every bite.
If you are looking for a tangy and tart flavor, then select Pink Lady to add brightness to each spoonful.
Adding a whole fruit like fresh picked apples makes the oatmeal wholesome, slightly sweeter and even healthier.
How To Prepare The Apple
How you choose to prepare an apple is based upon the desired outcome of the dish. Each of the individual apple overnight oats recipes use different preparations.
You might need grated apple, chopped or cooked apple. Apples can diced, sliced, mashed or pureed, and each method provided varying results to the final product.
When it comes to cooked apple, you have a options like roasted apples, 15 minute applesauce or easy apple butter. They are easy to prep but require some extra steps like cooking and blending.
The best part of all is that you can make ahead and can them for shelf stability or simply store in the fridge or freezer. Use these condiments to make apple oats muffins, apple oats bread or apple oats pancakes to enjoy with the whole family!
How do you shred apples?
Shredding and grating are synonymous terms in regards to meal preparation basics.
Leave the core intact when grating an apple because it provides a useful handle. Grip the top and bottom of the core, and then grate on the large holes of a box or paddle grater.
When the core is reached, turn the apple 90 degrees and then continue grating until only the core remains in the end.
Should you peel an apple before grating?
The peel contains large amounts of flavor, nutrients and pectin. Some people enjoy the apple skin, while others wish to peel the apple before eating.
Personal preference dictates whether or not to peel an apple before grating.
Start by washing the apple skin in order to thoroughly remove any residue or wax. Then, use a vegetable peeler to peel the apple in a top to bottom motion that follows the natural curve of the apple shape.
How to grate an apple without a grater?
Wash and dry the apple. Determine whether or not to peel the fruit and also the desired size of the apple shreds.
Then, place the apple on a fruit cutting board and chop it finely. Use a sharp knife to achieve an almost grate like effect. With the knife method, you can easily replicate a fine, medium or coarse grate.
How long will grated apple last?
Cut apples tend to discolor quickly when the apple flesh is exposed to the oxygen in the air. In order to prevent browning, sprinkle a little lemon juice before covering and storing in the refrigerator.
Furthermore, storing inside overnight oats in a covered container or mason jar helps to maximize the shelf life of grated apples.
In general, the grated apples last for about 3 to 4 days when properly stored in the refrigerator. However, its still best to cut apples and use them right away rather than preparing to far in advance.
Basic Ingredients for Apple Overnight Oats:
There are a lot of ingredients that pair well with apples. Lets discuss some of the varying flavor combinations that go well together.
Selecting the core basic ingredients for the apple overnight oats recipes is easy. Here are essential tastes to help you create a variety of flavor that fits your palate.
- Apple: Of the many varieties of apples, we recommend Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Gala apples because they go well with overnight oats. Be creative in the preparation to enhance your oatmeal, use chopped chunks, slices or smooth cooked purees like applesauce.
- Oats: Rolled oats are highly recommended for overnight oats. However, if you would like a more chewy and granular texture, then go with steel-cut oats. Either way, quick oats and instant oats will turn to mush and are generally not recommended.
- Liquid: For all apple overnight oats recipes, you can use whole milk, juice, water or even nut milk. There are many dairy-free alternatives such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk based on your dietary restrictions.
- Yogurt: To make these oats extra thick and creamy, use Greek yogurt or dairy-free alternatives like almond or coconut yogurt. If you enjoy adding yogurt to any recipe that doesn’t already contain it, then cut the liquid in half and replace with yogurt. These apple overnight oats recipes are adjustable, so if you feel like adding ⅓ cup of yogurt than give it a try.
- Natural sweetness: To balance out the plain, creamy or tart flavor from apple overnight oatmeal, sweeten up the recipes by using a tablespoon or two of maple syrup, honey or stevia. Apple juice is another way to add flavor and sweet to the dish.
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, allspice, clove and vanilla are great spices to combine with apples. One of our favorite spice blends to infuse with apples and oats is the classic flavor of apple pie spice. Whether you choose a complex blend or single aromatic, spices really compliment the overall taste of the apples.
- Additional protein: Adding chia seeds or a scoop of protein powder is ideal. However, chia seeds tend to thicken up the oats just a bit and give a delicious and creamy consistency.
Best Toppings for Apple Overnight Oats:
Add savory, nutty, or sweet flavored oatmeal toppings to the apple overnight oats recipes to make every bite even more enjoyable. Plan ahead of time so that you never get bored with the same basics.
Assemble fun topping combination by using a handful of these classic recipe ideas. Customize the soaked oats to make different kinds of taste and flavors.
- Apples + Almonds + Caramel
- Apples + Apricots + Pine Nuts
- Apples + Brown Sugar + Cream + Walnuts
- Apples + Cranberries + Maple Syrup
- Apples + Caramel + Cinnamon
- Apples + Dates + Vanilla
- Apples + Caramel + Peanuts
- Apples + Caramel + Pecans
- Apples + Caramel + Pistachios + Vanilla
- Apples + Cinnamon + Cranberries
- Apples + Cinnamon + Dark Chocolate + Yams
- Apples + Ginger + Hazelnut
Explore the endless flavor combinations and incorporate a bit of creativity into your meal prep. Try the recipes with sliced apples, diced apple chunks, roasted apples or even a scoop of applesauce and apple butter.
Achieve the four basic tastes by combining salty, sour, bitter, and sweet. Bring your overnight oats into harmony that best suits the taste profile you desire.